January 04, 2007

We Don't Eat Dogs In My Country!

Ok, so I have a funny story for y'all. I have a new student from Indonesia. He is muslim and speaks limited English. Everyday when I take the lunch order, I have to tell him which lunch contains pork. On this particular day, lunch options were hot dogs or burgers. I told him that hot dogs are made from pork and so I asked him if burgers were ok. He said "Burgers! Burgers! We don't eat dogs in my country! What kind of dogs do Americans eat?" All the while, he kept pointing at the picture of my dog that I keep on my desk. Now . . . that is some funny shit. What was even funnier was my horrible attempt at explaining that hot dogs weren't actually made from dogs. Why are they called hot "dogs" anyway?????

1 comment:

Mike said...

Some say the word was coined in 1901 at the New York Polo Grounds on a cold April day. Vendors were hawking hot dogs (then refered to by their German name, "dachshund") from portable hot water tanks shouting "They're red hot! Get your dachshund sausages while they're red hot!" A New York Journal sports cartoonist, Tad Dorgan, observed the scene and hastily drew a cartoon of barking dachshund sausages nestled warmly in rolls. Not sure how to spell "dachshund" he simply wrote "hot dog!" The cartoon is said to have been a sensation, thus coining the term "hot dog."

-- from, I swear to God, The National Hot Dog And Sausage Council.