June 29, 2007

Get Your Masculinity Out Of My Face

First of all, my apologies for letting Miss Paris Hilton taint the top of our blog for so many days. Unfortunately, you all have now contracted a wide array of rare and incurable STDs.

But back to my main point...

I'm afraid that we have reached the limit of what a male dominated society can bring to us. Every day in this country men are expected to conform to this silly, cartoonish notion of uber-masculinity. It's as though men are in constant pursuit of more manliness, but no matter how much you have, there's is always an elusive other with more of it.

The typical man is supposed to be strong, aggressive, detached from emotions, making fun of sissies and/or 'girly men', and sexin' as many hotties as possible. This antiquated stereotype is consistently reinforced by society: men's magazines, popular music, movies, TV, the military, college fraternities, prison, crime families both Italian and otherwise, commercials for body spray/deodorant (TAG, AXE, BOD, RGX, OLD[Spice]...Hmmm... why do they all have 3-letter names?...probably the initials of the industrial chemicals used in their manufacture), body wash (Maintenance for my Mansuit?! I didn't even know I had one!!), and perhaps the greatest offender of all: the beer commercial (Check out Exhibit A , Exhibit B , and Exhibit C). Even this country's foreign policy reflects (or possibly causes) this amped up machismo (See: constant U.S. warfare and recklessness).

Call me crazy, but maybe I want to run the damn vacuum cleaner, or do the dishes, or chat with my wife, or enjoy my favorite type of apple (Pink Lady) , or walk my 7 lb. dog WITHOUT having to wear a helmet due to the falling giant cans of a disgusting swill of a beer. Long story short, masculinity and feminity shouldn't be so rigidly enforced and they're not so easily defined. It's a continuum, people! Duh! And that's okay. I just want dudes to stop acting like such dicks trying to be 'manly'. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go get in touch with my feminine side.

2 comments:

Marie Debris said...

Your topic is pretty interesting . . . I just heard this topic being discussed on the radio today, on HOT 99.5 no less. Most of the female callers were saying that they are turned off by guys who cry. Me? I'm okay with a guy who cries, as long as it's not every day and as long as he doesn't cry more than I do.

Scrap Heap Pete said...

It makes sense that women are affected by this notion of manhood just as much as men are. I think women put up with a lot of guys' shit and stay in bad relationships because they think "this is what men are supposed to do." Who knows what effect this is having on the prevalence of sex crimes and domestic violence in this country...