June 08, 2010

Oil Spill Depression

Originally, I was going to take this opportunity to ruin the shit out of everybody's day with pictures of the eradication of the environment and wildlife drowning in oil, but I changed my mind and decided to post pictures of puppies instead...
Awww...
Well I'll be...
My Goodness, that is adorable..
Shucks!


Ahhhhhhhh...much better. Now on to something much more uplifting and less morbid than corporate-sponsored-razing-of-the-planet, celebrity deaths! Woohoo!


  • Rue McClanahan - will always be remembered as the 2nd hottest Golden Girl (behind Estelle Getty, ROWR!)

  • Dennis Hopper - even though I smoke a lot, I totally do not understand the appeal of Easy Rider. I mean, did hippies really get shot just riding down the highway, minding their own business in the 1960s? Anywho, he more than made up for that crappy movie with his portrayal of the journalist in Apocalypse Now, aka the best war movie of all time--yeah, I said it; no, I didn't forget about Full Metal Jacket. Then he did those Nike commercials ("Bruce Smith does bad things, man") and became an outspoken conservative, perhaps topping all other Republicans in terms of total drug use. The end. Most excellent.

  • Lindsay Lohan - oops, jumped the gun a bit on this one. Soon though, according to my sources, as well as the laws of physics. Tick tock tick tock

  • John Wooden - not really a celebrity per se, but he was basically basketball's version of Vince Lombardi, always speaking in witty aphorisms like, "What you are as a person is far more important than what you are as a basketball player." Obviously, he said that way before he realized you could make millions upon millions of dollars playing basketball. Oh well, live and learn, Mr. Wooden.



Sigh. I thought this entry about human mortality would cheer me up and take my mind off of thousands upon thousands of barrels of oil continuously spewing into the ocean, but it hasn't really helped too much. Can't we just airlift that floating morass of trash from the Pacific (and the Atlantic) that Mike mentioned a few posts ago and cram it down the pipe, thereby using one environmental problem to solve another?

1 comment:

Mike said...

Best war movie is Paths of Glory, followed closely by M*A*S*H.

I know what you're saying about a sort of "oil depression." I'll often watch that YouTube channel that shows a live shot of the leak, and I can't help thinking that some totally irreversible shit is going on. I honestly don't know how we come back after this. We've fucked up very well this time, and it seems irreprable.