October 16, 2010

Silent Majority? (Fingers Crossed)

I've been under a self-imposed blog-silence for awhile now--mainly because I've got myself worked up into a big ball of frightened confusion about the upcoming November elections, and the state of U.S. politics in general (and I'm also starting to gather intel on what a 'best music of 2010' list might look like.. aww yeah).

So, I hate to admit it, but the Tea Party scares me (as do Halloween costume stores, but that's another story). Now, it is possible that all Tea Party supporters are not racist xeno-homo-phobe evangelicals, but racist xenophobic shit like this is not good evidence of that theory...

I thought white tea was supposed to be healthy, soft, subtle, and not at all bitter because it is picked when it's young?

And I'm not scared because I didn't think there were soooo many people in America who held these types of worldviews--there are and they do, move along--it's just that I don't think they've ever been so politically motivated and assembled (but I am a shitty political historian so you might want to check). I must've underestimated the level of bat-guano craziness one, singular black (w/ white mom, mind you) president could cause in people. I am cautiously pessimistic that there is a silent majority of Americans out there that get offended and angry when people say they want to "take our country back," and that Tea Party wins on election day won't be as significant as it appears. And if there is significant Tea Party influence in the House and Senate after November, the Left's rebuttal is going to have to be a whole lot more combative (and effective, and smart, and not at all resembling a publicity stunt) than walking out on Bill O'Reilly on "The View".

3 comments:

Mike said...

Yeah, but Democratic administrations always seem to face some sort of reactionary backlash. Bill Clinton had "The Contract With America," all those Gingrinch acolytes, and the rise of rightwing radio. Barack Obama, not by virtue of some honest-to-god liberal policies, but simply because he's a registered Democrat (and part black and probably a foreigner), now faces a his own conservative backlash.

But I don't think it should be worrisome, because nobody remembers what the Contract for America was about, and nobody will remember the Tea Party or the Mama Grizzlies either. They may be around for the next two election cycles, but over time they'll fade away.

I can't wait for 15 years from now when we're writing blog posts like, "Hey, remember the Tea Party? That was a fun time, right?"

What do you think the next conservative backlash movement will be? Maybe powdered wigs or late 19th century Southern aristocracy? It's gonna be awesome.

Scrap Heap Pete said...

"Reactionary backlash" is one thing, but I think the Tea Party goes a bit beyond that. I mean, I don't remember people throwing bricks through Representatives' windows when legislation was passed in the 90s like there was when healthcare reform passed several months ago. If this was merely the political pendulum swinging to and fro, we wouldn't be seeing things like the draconian Arizona immigration law, and idiots like Sharron Angle, Rand Paul and Christine O'Donnell winning in Republican primaries.

Mike said...

Good points, though I think a better gauge to the Tea Party's social and political influence will be if any of those primary winners actually win in the general election.

According to five thrity eight, Christine O'Donnell will get crushed, but Rand Paul and Sharron Angle are the favorites to win in their races.

You may be right to worry.