May 17, 2011

The King of Limbs Thoughts, Three Months Late


Now that The King of Limbs (Newspaper Edition!) has finally arrived in my mailbox, I can finally organize my opinions on this album. I feel like this album kinda got a lukewarm reception, perhaps because it dropped out of the blue or perhaps because so much is expected out of Radiohead. Anyway, I like it, and I will not be needing any sort of support group.

The mood set in each of the 8 songs remind me of a different period in Radiohead's musical trajectory (except maybe Pablo Honey, which is just fine to ignore, if you ask me). See elaboration below (and correct me if I'm wrong):

1. "Bloom" : Kid A, Hail to the Thief - very cluttered, noisy drum beat with Thom's sleep-like blending of syllables.

2. "Morning Mr. Magpie" : The Bends, In Rainbows and a little bit of OK Computer during the outro.

3. "Little By Little" : reminds me of The Bends musically (a lil bit), and Amnesiac and Kid A from a thematic perspective.

4. "Feral" : Hail to the Thief, this is my least favorite song on this album.

5. "Lotus Flower" : a lot of Kid A was bass heavy in a similar way to this song.

6. "Codex" : Amnesiac - another title for this song could be "Pyramid Song #2" - both songs have that beautifully sad piano element.

7. "Give Up The Ghost" : similar themes on OK Computer.

8. "Separator" : OK Computer - the last minute or so sounds like like "Meeting in the Aisle" from the 'Airbag' single.



Essentially, this is an imaginative, unique take on a 'Greatest Hits' album in the way it makes you fondly remember a band's old albums, but without that cash-grabby feel.

But what's up with the perforated blotter paper..


...the more industrious chemists out there might be able to dip this paper into..{ahem} something..and then have a lot of fun (or in some cases, a terrifying journey to the inner-self).

No comments: