November 30, 2006

Why Y'all So Vagina?

What does it say about us as a culture when all a young and famous lady need do to curry favor with the American media is a well-timed and well-executed beaver flash? These accidental-but-not-really-at-all peep shows have become so ubiquitous, they've ceased to have any truly remarkable impact. I mean, shit, the photo to your left is Ms. Spears' second genital display in a week.

It’s become a cliché of the Lohan-level fame-lust crowd, the de rigeur move of desperation for any starlet who feels the celebrity press just aren't ravenous enough over them: get famous (acting/singing/blow jobbing), have a physical or emotional breakdown (blow overdose/marriage to background dancer), and then remind people that you're famous by showing off your newly Brazilian-ed lady hole to the omnipresent paparazzi.

This is not to say I’m against a woman’s right to choose to flash her vagina in public. Hell, I think we need more public vaginas in our society, not less. But it becomes a twee bit icky when the act itself is a cry for attention: “Hey, America, remember me? Check out my box!”

But here we are anyway, talking about Britney when there’s really no other earthly reason to do so. I suppose, then, that she accomplished her goal. She's climbed back into the pop culture consciousness, if only briefly, and all it took was panty-less car ride, a thousand flash bulbs, and our craven desire to see a famous woman's baby chute.

The very model of a win-win situation, no?

(And you're welcome for the picture, Scrap Heap. You. Are. Welcome.)

1 comment:

Scrap Heap Pete said...

What can I say? I can't keep my face out of female celebrities' crotches. Third one this month! Cha-Ching!