December 10, 2010

The Yearly Movie Entry

So, Inception, right? For like six months I could not wait for that movie, declaring my love for it sight unseen. Then I saw it, thought it was awesome, and completely forgot about it. Perhaps it was the overwrought fanboys or the weird blog race to declare it the best thing ever, but something about the reaction to Inception caused me to like the movie less. Whatever. Below are my five favorite movies from this past year.

Client 9: The Rise and Fall of Eliot Spitzer - Educational, insightful, and funny. Alex Gibney (Smartest Guys in the Room, Taxi to the Dark Side) has fast become one of my favorite filmmakers.

Kick-Ass - You know how good this movie is? I love it despite the fact that Nicholas Cage has a huge part in it. That's how awesome Kick-Ass is.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - A funny, visually fun, inventive, and sweet film that looks like a video game comic book, and has indie/garage pop songs written by Nigel Godrich. I have a crush on nearly every girl in this movie, too.

Exit Through the Gift Shop - Street art. A crazy French guy with a camcorder. The meaning of art. Hype vs. talent. Mr. Brainwash. One of my favorite movies, ever.

The Social Network. I've seen this movie now three times and I want to see it again soon. I was shocked by how good it was, so I went back to see if it held up. It did -- and then it got better.

Like many awesome American films, The Social Network is ultimately about loneliness. Mark Zuckerberg is shown as an asshole genius, somebody with the creativity and talent to create the world's most popular website, but completely unable to maintain a relationship, even with his only friend. Zuckerberg's character is constantly shot alone in the frame, and during various big moments in his company's history, he is shown apart from the action, watching others celebrate the success he had provided. It's a beautiful movie, all Fincher-y dark with extremely shallow focus. That characters regularly fall in and out of focus may subtly suggest the inherent emptiness of the electronic social system the movie centers around, but it is the characters and the pristine, empty worlds surrounding them that make this movie so great.

It's also really funny.

Movies I Didn't See But Know That I Will Love

The People Vs. George Lucas
MacGruber

No comments: