July 23, 2010

Petey Tours America, Phase I - Kansas City, MO

As part of the loosely connected menial chores I do for American currency (read: job), I have been tasked with creating and tallying evaluation forms for attendees of government-run training sessions aimed at increasing the usage of various e-health tools in communities across the US of A (read: bullshit).

Over the next several weeks, I will be spending 2 days and 2 nights in 4 different cities and upon my return, I will give my stream-of-consciousness impression and synopsis of each city.

Destination 1: Kansas City, MO

Hmm. Not much to say (or see, for that matter) here. I can't even think of any good jokes to demean this place. Nondescript architecture (although, there was a pretty big railroad running through the heart of the city right next to the highway), nondescript people, nondescript culture. I was expecting a lot more out of the city of my favorite childhood football team and favorite Nigerian fullback (anybody remember former Kansas City Chief Christian Okoye?) I'm very much used to the cultural diversity in the D.C. Metro area--I don't think there's a Chinatown in Kansas City.

K.C. supposedly has awesome barbecue, but I didn't get to taste it--my supervisor and my associates invited me out for dinner to a renowned barbecue spot (Jack Stack's, if I'm not mistaken), but the invitation seemed kinda empty since they knew I had about 4 fucking hours of snack-food-stained evaluation forms to go through at the end of the day. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

There were lots of slow-building, rollicking thunderstorms which, aside from barbecue, are the only other distinguishing things about Kansas City--three inches of rain in just under an hour meant that the hotel garage and gym flooded. Yay?

So it was a pretty uneventful first business trip for me, next time I'll remember to bring my camera so I can post some pictures to go along with my words (and I'm also gonna pack some liquor). So tune in next week for the next installment of Petey Tours America, Phase II: Providence, RI.

No comments: